History of St. Mary the Virgin
The church consists of chancel. Nave with south porch, square tower, north aisle and vestry. The windows, buttresses and tower have ashlar dressings and slate for the roof.
The octagonal font is one of a number of identical fonts in South Norfolk, and was carved in the fifteenth century.
Behind the font is the entrance to the belfry, this is a carved oak screen, a memorial to five members of the Steward family, Lords of the Manor during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Currently there is a full peal of eight bells.The fourteenth century square tower, replaces an original round one. The position of the round tower's foundation stones have been marked out with bricks at the base of the currant tower. The attractive one-hand clock is dated 1794.
Our organ was made by the Norwich firm of Norman Bros and Beard and was installed in 1896, to replace the harmonium at the cost of £300.
We have some of the oldest stained glass in Norfolk. The large south-east window has supremely important glass, the earliest figurative glass in Norfolk, made not later than 1250.
The centre south window also contains glass from 1250. The north window is 14th century grisaille glass.
This is a most beautiful church well maintained and loved by the whole village and still central to village life, as it has been all its life.