History of Saxlingham Chapel
2021 is the 134th year of Christian witness at Saxlingham Chapel. The ‘temporary’ Chapel building, erected in 1887 by the members of Surrey Chapel in Norwich, has lasted remarkably well and is well used week by week. The Chapel is a traditional 'tin tabernacle' and fits its surroundings; it has a warmth of welcome and a period-charm.
In 2007 we realised that we needed better facilities. 30-40 people of all ages regularly worship in the Chapel and on special occasions we are often ‘full to bursting!’ There are a number of other activities and meetings taking place as well as the regular Sunday services and we needed more than 2 rooms and a single outside toilet! Our vision was to extend the building to the rear in order to create more space, a well-equipped kitchen area and new loos with disabled access. The extension would in the same style as the main Chapel, complement its original design and occupy the land immediately behind the Chapel. We stepped out in faith. We prayed. We trusted God to provide our needs. Within weeks, gifts totaling c£92,500 enabled a wonderful new extension to be built and a piece of land adjacent to the main car park was purchased so that the car parking area could be extended. We thank God for what He has done.
In January 2009 we appointed our first Pastor (or minister) - Ian Masson. Ian and his wife Lynda have been worshipping at the Chapel for many years and Ian was called to pastoral ministry from within the Chapel fellowship.